Wylee Whitesquirrel of Arden

Wylee Whitesquirrel of Arden
Children's book written and illustrated by Rhys McClure

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Artist Statement


For as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated by nature in all its patterns and colors, just as it is and just as I discover it. This fascination has led me through acrylic paintings, pastels, colored pencil studies, watercolors, mono-prints and photographs. I let my discovery determine which medium I choose.

The images on the right are examples of my work in each medium. Originals are available for purchase. I also have high quality notecard reproductions of many of my paintings, drawings and photographs that are available for purchase. Please email me for more information.

"Chadds Ford Farm" is a photo taken of a striking Sycamore tree not far from the Wyeth farms in Pennsylvania.

"Seckel Pear Leaves" is a Prismacolor study of leaves found beneath a Seckel pear tree in my back yard in Arden, DE.

I was moved to paint “Zucchini Pattern” when I looked over my porch rail at the zucchini plant spreading out below in my small garden in Arden.

"Green Bottle" is a watercolor study of Sweet Peas done in Lagunitas, CA.

“The Danish Barn, Winter” is part of series based upon a dilapidated dairy barn owned by the Petersen family who were originally from Denmark. I walked down Petersen road almost every day and loved the faded reds of the barn and the rain soaked pastures in Sonoma County, CA.

I have also written and illustrated a children's book, "Wylee Whitesquirrel of Arden" which is now available on Amazon. The white squirrels of Arden inspired the book, after I noticed the flat colors and boring illustrations of so many children's books that are published these days.

I came to Arden after Katrina kicked me out of my beloved New Orleans and thoroughly enjoy living in this long standing Utopian community of creative people and scientists from DuPont.

In 2013 the needs of my daughter and grandson made it clear that I needed to move closer to Brooklyn. Fortunately, I discovered the village of Northport, LI, a charming harbor town filled with galleries, theater groups, great restaurants and wonderful people. The harbor and Long Island Sound have inspired a whole new series of work.

No comments: